Professor of Geophysics
Head, Faculty of Earth Sciences
University of Iceland
Askja, Sturlugata 7, IS-101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Born on 8 May 1961 in Reykjavík.
Spouse: Anna Líndal, artist.
Children: Rögnvaldur (b. 1989) and Katla Sigríður (b. 1993).
1986-1990 University College London,
graduate studies in geophysics. Ph.D. in geophysics 1992. Title of
thesis: Crustal structure of the subglacial
Grímsvötn volcano, Vatnajökull, Iceland,
from multiparameter geophysical surveys.
2008- Professor of
Geophysics at the Faculty of Earth Sciences, University of
Publications (see publication list at: http://www.hi.is/~mtg/MTG-ritskra.htm)
1. Author and coauthor of about 100 reviewed papers in scientific journals and books.
2. Author and coauthor of about 40 lightly or non-reviewed popular articles on scientific matters.
3. Author and coauthor of about 30 scientific reports.
4. Author of text in four photographic books on Iceland.
2016-2020 Head, Faculty of Earth Sciences, Univ. Iceland
2014-present Faculty Selection Committee
2008-2014 Head, Faculty of Earth Sciences
2008-2013 Board, University of Iceland University Park, Univ. Iceland
2008-2012 Director, Institute of Earth Sciences
2007-2008 Institute of Earth Sciences, Executive Committee
2005-2007 Department Chair, Department of Physics, University of Iceland
1996-present Science Advisory Board, Civil Protection Department of the National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police
1998-present President, Iceland Glaciological Society
2009-present NORDFORSK - Panel on Researcher network and Research training courses.
2009 Ex Officio Chair, Commission on Volcano-Ice Interactions
2008 IAVCEI General Assembly, local organizing committee
2008 Chair, joint IAVCEI and IACS Commission on Volcano-Ice Interactions
2006-2007 IAVCEI Working Group on Volcano-Ice Interactions. 2007: Vice-Chair; 2006: Secretary
1. Journal of Glaciology, Scientific Editor, 2005 - 2008
2. Annals of Glaciology, 48, 2008. Associate Editor.
3. Journal of Geodynamics, 43 (1), 2007. Special Issue: Hotspot Iceland. (with W. Jacoby).
4. Hættumat vegna eldgosa og hlaupa frá vestanverðum Mýrdalsjökli og Eyjafjallajökli (in Icelandic: Eruptions in the western part of Mýrdalsjökull and Eyjafjallajökull: a risk assessment)(with Á.G. Gylfason). The Icelandic Police Commissioner and the University of Iceland Press. 210 pages. 2005.