back to course
|ENS 207 G
Due date: Monday 14 March, before class.
- Listen to five audio clips in Workshop 5 (in Ugla):
- South Carolina
- New York
- Chicago Illinois
- West Virginia
- New Hampshire*
- And add this clip of General American (listen to the American speaker, not the Icelander. )
*New Hampshire added later - it had dropped out of the original posting I shall not count it in the evaluation of this assignment
- Draw up a table showing the state of the following variables for each audio clip:
- R-Dropping (+ = Non-rhotic, - = Rhotic)
- LOT Unrounding (=LOT-PALM Merger. + = merged, - = unmerged)
- THOUGHT unrounding (= THOUGHT-LOT Merger. + = merged, - = unmerged)
- "Marry Merry Mary" Merger ( + = merged, - = unmerged)
Draw up your table like this, adding "+" and "-". "0" means it does not occur.
R-Dropping LOT-PALM THOUGHT-LOT Marry Merry Mary G,A 0 S. Carolina New York Chicago Newfoundland W.Virginia
- Note: key words to listen to in these clips are given in the document 'Regional examples notes' in Workshop 5.
For the G.A. clipš, liste to:
- LOT: want, models, confident, doctors, diagnostics, across, oftentimes, job loss
- THOUGHT: talking, all, alter.