ASH: Astronomy of Supernovae and Hypernovae
When: 23-25 Nov 2010 (Tuesday-Thursday).
Where: Centre for Astrophysics and Cosmology, University of Iceland. The morning sessions will be in room HT-300 which is located in the University Centre (Háskólatorg). After lunch the group will most likely split up. Half of the group could continue to work in HT-300 but the rest could meet up in another building (Tæknigarður) where there should be working space for two small groups of around 5 persons. On this map you can see the relative location of Hótel Saga, Háskólatorg and Tæknigarður.
Why: To get together Nordic people working on GRBs and SNe.
How to get there: Icelandair or Iceland Express. And then take the flybus to get from Keflavík to Reykjavík (50-60 min drive). As explained on the website you can purchase a Flybus Plus ticket so that the bus will take you to the hotel. Otherwise the bus stops at the Central Bus Station (BSÍ). It will take you around 15-20 to walk to the hotel from there. We recommend taking the taxi if you don't book a Flybus Plus ticket. Very important: be cautious when you book with Icelandair. It is frequently much cheaper to book each way separately rather than booking a round trip in one go. The difference can be as much as 2x.
Where to stay: Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, bed and breakfast with free broadband and Mecca Spa (astronomers need to relax). The hotel is located in only a 3-min walk from the main university buildings; it is next to a roundabout called Hagatorg (biggest one in Iceland!) as seen on this map.
Meeting organization: We aim to split each day into two parts. In the morning (suggestion: 9:30-12:00) we could have a couple of informal talks so each participant can tell us what they are working on. In the afternoon (suggestion: 13:30-18:00) the participants should simply meet up and work on papers, reduce data or possibly come up with new projects/collaborations. We urge the participants not to go whale hunting or puffin shooting during working hours!
"Conference" dinner: Thursday evening (19:00) at the seafood restaurant Við Tjörnina (By the Pond).
- Gulli Björnsson (U. Iceland)
- Bob Chapman (U. Iceland)
- Ross Church (Lund Observatory)
- Stephanie Courty (CRAL/Observatoire de Lyon)
- Annalisa De Cia (U. Iceland)
- Antonio de Ugarte Postigo (DARK)
- Mattias Ergon (Oskar Klein Centre)
- Einar Guðmundsson (U. Iceland)
- Jens Hjorth (DARK)
- Palli Jakobsson (U. Iceland)
- Guðlaugur Jóhannesson (aka Gulli Junior; U. Iceland)
- Josefin Larsson (Oskar Klein Centre)
- Giorgos Leloudas (DARK)
- Keiichi Maeda (U. Tokyo; visiting OKC)
- Daniele Malesani (DARK)
- Jakob Nordin (U. Stockholm)
- Steve Schulze (U. Iceland)
- Jesper Sollerman (Oskar Klein Centre)
- Maximilian Stritzinger (Oskar Klein Centre)
- Francesco Taddia (U. Stockholm)
- Nial Tanvir (U. Leicester)
- Christina Thöne (Granada)
- Paul Vreeswijk (U. Iceland)
Conference photo (all nerds are smiling because it is taken after the conference dinner):