Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, professor emeritus of computational science
Born: June 26 1945
B.Sc.Hons. in pure and applied mathematics, University of St. Andrews, Scotland
M.Sc. in numerical analysis, University of Dundee, Scotland 1970.
Ph.D. in numerical analysis, University of Dundee, Scotland 1973
1971-72 Assistant lecturer Institutionen för
Informationsbehandling, Chalmers Tekniska Högskola, Gothenburg, Sweden.
1972-75 Research scientist, Computing Centre, Science Institute, University of Iceland
1975-78 Research scientist, Division of Geothermal Energy, National Energy Authority, Iceland
1978-99 Associate professor, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, University of Iceland
1999 Professor, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, University of Iceland
2000-08 Professor, Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering, University of Iceland
2008 Professor, Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer
Science, School of Engineering and Natural Science, University of Iceland
2012-18 Retired. Professor emeritus, Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer
Science, School of Engineering and Natural Science, University of Iceland
of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada, Feb. - August 1982
Department of Mathematics, Imperial College, Univ. of London, August 1988-July 1989
Mittag-Leffler Institutet, Djursholm, Sweden, April 1998
Istitituttet för Informatik, Bergens Universitet, Norway, Oct. 1998
Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark, March and April 2005
Department of Earth Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada, May 2012
Main research activities:
1. Finite element modelling related to shallow-water flow, contaminant and sediment transport, and glacier flow.
I have worked on projects within this area since around 1980, mainly in cooperation with Snorri Páll Kjaran and Sigurður Lárus Hólm of Vatnaskil Consulting Engineers. These have mainly related to the development of two software packages AQUA3D, a three dimensional groundwater flow and contamination transport modelling package, and AQUASEA, a modelling package for two-dimensional estuary flow, coastal flow and lake circulation and contaminant transport problems, both based on a finite element Galerkin approach. I have also advised them on numerical approaches to a number of specific modelling tasks involving reservoirs, lakes, estuaries, fjords, and rivers in Iceland. Publications 8, 11, and 13-17 in the list below below describe some of the numerical issues involved, and the recent confernce publication 61 also relates to this type of work. My involvement in Publication 65 also relates to this type of research.
In 2006 I adapted the shallow water code to two-dimensional glacier flow modelling in cooperation with the research group headed by Helgi Björnsson, research professor at the Earh Sciences Institute of University of Iceland, and the glaciologist Guðfinna Aðalgeirsdóttir, presently an associate professor at the Faculty of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland. Publications 56 and 64 are linked to this work. In 2009 I started the development of a new finite element model to simulate waterflow under glaciers, incorporating both sheet flow and tunnel flow, in cooperation with Þröstur Þorsteinsson, glaciologist at the Earh Sciences Institute of University of Iceland. This model that is linked with the glacier flow model makes use of the model developed by Glen Flowers, at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, the main difference being the adaption to an irregular triangur network, as well as making use of the flexibility this offers in modelling channels along interelemental boundaries. However, a similar development has been carried out by Mauro Werder, at Simon Fraser University, and Christian Schoof and Ian Hewitt at University Of British Columbia, Vancouver, as became apparent after a visit to Simon Fraser University in May 2012.
2. Modeling of fish migration using particle and continuous models.
My involvement in this research started in 2000 in cooperation with the late Kjartan G. Magnusson, professor of mathematics at University of Iceland. It started as a subproject of a more general European project, Development of structurally detailed statistically testable modelsof marine populations, that was coordinated by Gunnar Stefansson of The Marine Research Institute and University of Iceland, and lasted till the autumn of 2004. The main emphasis in the project was to set up various simulation models for the migration of pelagic species of fish, focusing on migration patterns of capelin in the seas around Iceland and in the Barents Sea. The models were two-dimensional in space, both discrete and continuous, where in the latter case the continuous function could either represent real density or probability density. Publications 22, 24-25, and 28-30 in the list below resulted from this work. Kjartan Magnusson died in January 2006, but I carried on with this research in cooperation with Bjorn Birnir, professor of mathematics at University of California, Santa Barbara, where the focus was more on dynamical properties of these models. Moreover we incorporated into the models ideas from so-called dynamic energy budget (DEB) models developed by Bas Kooijman and his co-workers. Baldvin Einarsson worked on this project as a Ph.D.-student under our supervision and defended his Ph.D-thesis in April 2011. Publications 48, 50, 53 and 58 in the list below have resulted from this work.
3. Linear system responses and optimization applications in control theory based on closed forms.
I have worked on this project since 2004 in
cooperation with Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir,
professor in the Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering at
4. Machine learning and kernel methods.
I have worked on various projects related to this field since 2002, mostly in cooperation with Tómas P. Rúnarsson, presently a professor in the Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science at University of Iceland. These projects have involved the use of support vector machines, or more generally kernel methods, decision trees and neural networks, and applications have e.g. involved classification of EEGs and ocean vessel fuel optimization. The latter work has been carried out in collaboration with the firm Marorka - Marine Energy Management Solutions. Conference publications 23, 27, 34-35, 44 and 51, and journal publications 41, 43, 46 and 57 in the list below have resulted from this work as well as the masters theses of Héðinn Steingrímsson, Sigrún Dóra Sævinsdóttir, Þóra Jónsdóttir, Paul Gunnar Garðarsson, Hildur Sævarsdóttir and Stefán Kristjánsson. Steinn Guðmundsson defended his Ph.D.-thesis on the use of kernel methods for classification of time series in April 2010 under the supervision of Tómas P. Rúnarsson and myself. Recent M.Sc. thesis of Jón Daðason on post-correction of Icelandic OCR-text under joint supervision of myself and Kristín Bjarnadóttir, research lecturer at The Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies, also relates to this type of work.
5. Numerical Modeling of Controlled Release of Drugs.
I have worked on a numerical model of controlled release of drugs from many layer silicone elastometers since 2011 in cooperation with Fjóla Jónsdóttir, professor at the Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science at University of Iceland and Már Másson, professor at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Iceland, as well as his Ph.D. student Bergþóra Snorradóttir, who graduated in 2013, Svetlana Solodova, a postdoc of Már and Kristinn Guðnason who is presently a Ph.D. student of Fjóla and co-supervised by me. The aim is to simulate extensive experimental results that have been carried out in the the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences so as to aid in the design complex drug control systems. The modeeling is based on the finite element method with special emphasis on the treatment of dicontinuities between layers, Conference publication 55, 68 and 69 and journal publications 61, 63, and 66 in the list below are on this topic. From 2017 these models have been extended to two-dimesional systems that can be described in cylindrical coordinates with rotational symmetry. Conference papers 68 and 69 are on that topic.
6. Automatic (algorithmic) reverse differentiation of matrix computations.
I have worked on this project since 2010 in cooperation with, Kristján Jónasson, professor at the Department of Computer Science, University of Iceland. The aim has been to derive formulae for reverse automatic (algorithmic) differentiaition of basic matrix operations, in such a way that direct use can be made of the BLAS-library, and to develop a corresponding library for the reverese automatic differentiation.
Research related publications:
1. Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (1970) Gravity Survey on Western Vatnajökull. Jökull, 20, pp. 38-44.
2. Sigurdsson, S. (1971) Linear Multistep Methods with Variable Matrix Coefficients. Conf. on Applications of Numerical Analysis, Dundee, March 23-26, 1971, Lecture Notes in Mathematics 228, Springer Verlag, pp. 327- 331.
3. J. D. Lambert, S. T. Sigurdsson (1972) Multistep Methods with Variable Matrix Coefficients. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. Vol. 9, No.4, pp. 715-733.
4. Sven T. Sigurdsson (1973) Multistep Methods with Variable Matrix Coefficients for Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations. Ph. D. Thesis, Dept. of Mathematics, The University, Dundee, Scotland, and Report no. 1973.04, Dept. of Computer Science, Chalmers Institute of Tecnology and University of Göteborg, 195 pp..
5. S. Arnórsson, S. Sigurdsson (1974) The Utility of Waters from the High-Temperature Areas in Iceland for Space Heating as Determined by Their Chemical Composition. Geothermics, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 127-141.
6. Stefán Arnórsson, Karl Grönvold, Sven Sigurdsson (1978) Aquifer chemistry of four high-temperature geothermal systems in Iceland. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol. 42, pp. 523-536.
7. Axel Björnsson, Gunnar Johnsen, Sven Sigurdsson, Gunnar Thorbergsson, Eysteinn Tryggvason (1979) Rifting of the Plate Boundary in Northern Iceland 1975-1978. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 84, No. B6, pp. 3029-3038.
8. S. P. Kjaran, S. T. Sigurdsson (1979) Two Techniques Associated with the Galerkin Method for Solving Ground Water Flow Problems. Finite Elements in Water Resources, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Finite Elements in Water Resources held at Imperial College, London, in July, 1978, Pentech Press, pp. 1.227- 1.247.
9. G. V. Johnsen, A. Björnsson, S. Sigurdsson (1980) Gravity and Elevation Changes Caused by Magma Movement Beneath the Krafla Caldera, Northeast Iceland. Journal of Geophysics, 47, pp.132-140.
10. Baldur Jónsson, Björn Ellertsson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (1980) Tölvukönnun á tíðni orða og stafa í íslenskum texta. Raunvísindastofnun Háskólans, RH-80-12, 148 pp..
11. Snorri P. Kjaran, Sven T. Sigurdsson (1981) Treatment of time derivative and calculation of flow when solving groundwater flow problems by Galerkin finite element methods. Adv. Water Resources, Vol. 4, pp. 23-33.
12. Stefán Arnórsson, Sven Sigurdsson, Hördur Svavarsson (1982) The chemistry of geothermal waters in Iceland. I. Calculation of aqueous speciation from 0° to 370°C, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Vol. 46, pp. 1513-1532.
13 S. P. Kjaran, S. L. Holm, S. Sigurdsson, (1988) Testing of Finite Element Schemes for Linear Shallow Water Equations. Computational Methods in Water Resources, Vol. 1 Modeling Surface and Sub-Surface Flows, Proceedings of the VII International Conference, MIT, USA, June1988, Elsevier, Computational Mechanics Publications, pp. 249-256.
14. S. Sigurdsson, S. P. Kjaran, G. G. Tómasson (1988) A Simple Staggered Finite Element Scheme for Linear Shallow Water. Computational Methods in Water Resources, Vol. 1 Modeling Surface and Sub-Surface Flows, Proceedings of the VII International Conference, MIT, USA, June1988, Elsevier, Computational Mechanics Publications, pp. 329-335.
15. S. Sigurdsson (1990) On the Stability of Staggered Finite Element Schemes for Simulation of Shallow Water Free Surface Flow. Computational Methods in Surface Hydrology, Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, held in Venice, Italy, June 11-15 1990. Computational Mechanics Publications, Springer Verlag, pp. 449-454.
16. S. Sigurdsson (1992) Treatment of the Convective Term in Staggered Finite Element Schemes for Shallow Water Flow. Computational Methods in Water Resources IX , Vol. 1: Numerical Methods in Water Resources, Computational Mechanics Publications, Elsevier Applied Science, pp. 291-298.
17. Sven Sigurdsson (1994) Alternative Approaches to the Wave Equation in Shallow Water Flow Modelling. Computational Methods in Water Resources X, Volume 2, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 1113-1120.
18. Sigurdur Thorsteinsson, Sven Sigurdsson (1996) Orogenic blocking and deflection of stratified air Flow on an f-plane. Tellus 48A, pp.572-583.
19. Erlendur Smári Þorsteinsson, Gunnar G. Tómasson, Kristín Friðgeirsdóttir, Kristján Jónasson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (1996) Bráðabirgðarennslisstig. Greinargerð um útreikning og gerð rennslisstigakorta. Raunvísindastofnun Háskólans, Reiknifræðistofa, 19 pp..
20. Sven Sigurðsson, Kristján Jónasson, Þorsteinn Arnalds (1998) Transferring Avalanches Between Paths. 25 Years of Snow Avalanche Research, Voss 12-16 May 1998, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Publ. Nr. 203, pp. 259-263.
21. Kristján Jónasson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Þorsteinn Arnalds (1999) Estimation of Avalanche Risk. Rit Veðurstofu Íslands, VÍ-R99001-ÚR01, 33 bls...
22. Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Kjartan G. Magnússon, Petro Babak, Stefán F. Guðmundsson, Eva Hlín Dereksdóttir (2002) Dynamic continuous model of fish migration. Science Institute, University of Iceland. Report RH-25-2002, 31 pp..
23. T. P. Runarsson, S. Sigurdsson (2003) Model selection for support vector machines using an asynchronous parallel evolution strategy. Proceedings of the 2003 international Conference on Neural Networks & Signal Processing. Nanjing, China, December 14-17, 2003, Vol. 1, pp. 495-98.
24. Simon Hubbard, Petro Babak, Sven Th. Sigurdsson, Kjartan G. Magnússon (2004) A model of the formation of fish schools and migrations of fish. Ecological Modelling, 174, pp. 359-374.
26. Þorsteinn Arnalds, Kristján Jónasson, Sven Sigurðsson (2004) Avalanche hazard zoning in Iceland based on individual risk. Annals of Glaciology, Volume 38, Number 1, pp. 285-290.
27. Thomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2004) Asynchronous Parallel Evolutionary Model Selection for Support Vector Machines. Neural Information Processing - Letters and Reviews, Volume 3, Number 3, pp. 59-67.
28. Petro Babak, Kjartan G. Magnússon, Sven Sigurdsson (2004) Dynamics of group formation in collective motion of organisms. Mathematical Medicine and Biology, Volume 21, Number 4, pp. 269-292.
29. Kjartan G. Magnússon, Sven Th. Sigurdsson and Baldvin Einarsson (2004) A discrete and stochastic simulation model for migration of fish with application to capelin in the seas around Iceland. Science Institute, University of Iceland, Report RH-20-2004.
31. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Gísli Herjólfsson, Bergþór Ævarsson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2005) Zero optimizing continuous-time tracking and disturbance rejecting controllers. Proceedings of the 16th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, Prague, July 4-8, 2005.
32. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Bergþór Ævarsson, Gísli Herjólfsson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2005) Linear continuous-time system responses. Proceedingss of the 16th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, Prague, July 4-8, 2005.
33. Gísli Herjólfsson, Bergþór Ævarsson, Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2005) Zero optimized tracking of continuous-time systems. Proceedings of the 2005 American Control Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 8-June 10, Volume 2, pp. 1208-1213.
34. Steinn Gudmundsson, Thomas Philip Runarsson (2005) Automatic Sleep Staging using Support Machines with Posterior Probability Estimates. Proceedingss of the International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control & Automation, 28-30 November 2005, Vienna – Austria, Volume 2, pp. 366-372.
35. Thomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2005) On-line Detection of Patient Specific Neonatal Seizures using Support Vector Machines and Half_Wave Attribute Histograms. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control & Automation, 28-30 November 2005, Vienna – Austria, Volume 2, pp. 673-677.
36. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Gísli Herjólfsson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2006) Zero Optimizing Tracking and Disturbance Rejecting Controllers – The extended PID controller. Proceedings of the 45th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2006, San Diego, California, December 13-15, pp. 5633-5638.
37. Helgi Þorgilsson, Gísli Herjólfsson, Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2006) Scheduled Control of a Small Unmanned Underwater Vehicle Using Zero Optimization. Proceedings of the 45th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2006, San Diego, California, December 13-15, pp. 5900-5905.
38. Gísli Herjólfsson, Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2006) Closed Form Expressions of Linear Continuous- and Discrete Time Filter Responses. Proceedings of the 7th Nordic Signal Processing Symposium, 2006. NORSIG 2006. Reykjavík, Iceland, June 7-9, pp. 350-353
39. Einar Stefánsson, Gunnar Stefánsson, Sven Þ.Sigurðsson, Eggert Briem (2006) Decimals in data values. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, Volume 84, pp. 449-450.
40. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Gísli Herjólfsson, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2007) Optimizing Zero Tracking and Disturbance Rejecting Controllers – The Generalized PID Controller. Proceedings of American Control Conference, 2007. ACC ’07, New York City, July 11-13, pp. 5790-5795.
41. Steinn Gudmundsson, Thomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson, Gudrun Eiriksdottir, Kristinn Johnsen (2007) Reliability of quantitative EEG features. Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 118, Issue 10, pp 2162-2171.
42. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Sigurður Örn Aðalgeirsson, Gísli Herjólfsson (2007) Closed Form Expressions for Linear MIMO System Responses and Solutions of the Lyapunov Equation. Proceedings of the 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, New Orleans, LA, USA, Dec. 12-14, 2007, pp. 2797-2801.
43. Thora Jonsdottir, Ebba Thora Hvannberg, Helgi Sigurdsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2008) The feasibility of constructing a Predictive Outcome Model for breast cancer using the tools of data mining. Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 34 , Issue 1, pp. 108-118.
44. Steinn Gudmundsson, Thomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2008) Support Vector Machines and Dynamic Time Warping for Time Series. Proceedings of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), Hong Kong, 2008, pp. 2772-2776.
45. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Sigurður Örn Aðalgeirsson, Helgi Þorgilsson, Gísli Herjólfsson, (2008) Closed Form Solutions of the Sylvester and the Lyapunov Equations - Closed Form Gramians. Proceedings of the 2008 American Control Conference, Seattle, Washington, USA, June 11-13, 2008, pp. 2585-2590.
46. Hildur Sævarsdóttir, Sven Þ Sigurðsson, Leifur Þ. Leifsson, Ari Vésteinsson, (2008) Grey-Box Modeling of an Ocean Vessel for Operational Optimization, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Volume 16, Issue 8, pp. 923-932
47. G. Herjólfsson, B. Ævarsson, A.S. Hauksdóttir, S.Þ. Sigurðsson (2009) Closed Form L2/H2-Optimizing of Zeros for Model Reduction of Linear Continuous Time Systems, Internationa Journal of Control, Volume 82, Issue 3, pp. 555-570
48. Alethea Barbaro, Baldvin Einarsson, Björn Birnir, Sven Sigurðsson, Héðinn Valdimarsson, Ólafur Karvel Pálsson, Sveinn Sveinbjörnsson, Þorsteinn Sigurðsson (2009) Modeling and simulation of the migration of pelagic fish. ICES Journal of Marine Science, Volume 66, Number 5, pp. 826-838.
49. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2009) The contimuous closed form controllability Gramian and its inverse. Proceedings of the The 2009 American Control Conference, St.Louis, Missouri, USA, June 10-12, 2009, pp. 5345-5350.
50. Alethea Barbaro, Baldvin Einarsson, Björn Birnir, Sven Sigurðsson, Héðinn Valdimarsson, Ólafur Karvel Pálsson, Sveinn Sveinbjörnsson, Þorsteinn Sigurðsson (2009) Simulations and scaling laws for a bioenergetic model of the Icelandic capelin stock. Proceedings of the 2009 ICES Annual Science Conference, Berlin, September 21-25 2009, Theme session H: “What do fish learn in schools?” 25 pp.
51. Stefan Petursson, Thomas Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2009) Predicting optimal trim configuration of marine vessels with respect to fuel usage. Proceedings of SIMS 50 Modeling of Energy Technology, Frederica, Denmark, October 7-8, 2009, pp. 291-298.
52. Steinn Gudmundsson, Gudny Lilja Oddsdottir, Tomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson, Eythor Kristjansson (2010) Detecting fraudulent whiplash claims by support vector machines. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Volume 5, pp. 311–317.
53. Baldvin Einarsson, Björn Birnir, Sven Sigurðsson (2011) A Dynamic Energy Budget (DEB) model for the energy usage and reproduction of the Icelandic capelin (Mallotus villosus). Journal of Theoretical Biology, Volume 281, Issue 1, pp. 1-8.
54. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2011) The Matching Coefficient PID Controller, Proceedings of the the 2011 American Control Conference, San Fransisco, USA, June 29 – July 1, pp. 710-715.
55. Fjola Jonsdottir, Rut Gudmundsdottir, Sven Th. Sigurdsson, Bergthora S. Snorradottir, Mar Masson (2011) Numerical Modeling of Controlled Release of Drugs From Silicone Elastomers. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems(SMASIS2011), Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, September 18-21, Volume 1, pp. 39-44.
56. (2011) Modelling the 20th and 21st century evolution of Hoffellsjökull glacier, SE-Vatnajökull, Iceland. The Cryosphere, Volume 5, pp. 961-975.
57. Steinn Gudmundsson, Thomas Philip Runarsson, Sven Sigurdsson (2012) Test-retest reliability and feature selection in physiological time series classification. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Volume 105, pp. 50-60.
58. Baldvin Einarsson, Alethea Barbaro, Björn Birnir, Sven Sigurðsson (2012) Líkön og hermanir af göngum, vexti og kynþroska loðnu. Vistkerfi Íslands, The Iceland Sea Ecosystem Project, Hafrannsóknir nr. 164, pp. 133-151.
59. Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir (2012) Closed Form Expressions of Linear Discrete Time System Responses with an Application to PID Controllers. Proceedings of the IFAC Conference on Advances in PID Control PID’12, Brescia (Italy), March 28-30, ThPS.9, 6 pp..
60. Gísli Herjólfsson, Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2012) L2/H2-optimal zeros two stage optimization. Proceedings of the IFAC Conference on Advances in PID Control PID’12, Brescia (Italy), March 28-30, 6 pp..
61. Bergthóra S. Snorradóttir, Fjóla Jónsdóttir, Sven Th. Sigurdsson, Freygardur Thorsteinsson, Már Másson (2013) Numerical modelling and experimental investigation of drug release from layered silicone matrix systems. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 49(4), pp. 671-678.
62. Andri Arnaldsson, Jean-Claude Berthet, Snorri Kjaran, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2014) Numerical scheme to simulate flow through anisotropic rocks in TOUGH2. Computers & Geosciences, Volume 65, pp. 37-45.
63. Bergthóra S. Snorradóttir, Fjóla Jónsdóttir, Sven Th. Sigurdsson, Már Másson (2014) Numerical modelling of transdermal delivery from matrix systems: Parametric study and experimental validation with silicone matrices. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 103, pp. 2366-2375.
64. Hrafnhildur Hannesdóttir, Guðfinna Ađalgeirsdóttir, Tómas Jóhannesso, Sverrir Guđmundsson, Philippe Crochet, Hálfdán Ágústsson, Finnur Pálsson, Eyjólfur Magnússon, Sven Sigurdsson, Helgi Björnsson (2015) Downscaled precipitation applied in modelling of mass balance and the evolution of southeast Vatnajökull, Iceland, Journal of Glaciology, Volume 61, Issue 228, pp. 799-813.
65. Chrispine Nyamweya, Christopher Desjardins, Sven Sigurdsson, Tumi Tomasson, Anthony Taabu-Munyaho, Lewis Sitoki, Gunnar Stefansson (2016) Simulation of Lake Victoria circulation patterns using the Regional Ocean modeling system (ROMS), PloS One, Volume 11, Issue 3, pp. e0151272
66. Kristinn Gudnason, Svetlana Solodova, Anna Vilardell, Mar Masson, Sven Sigurdsson, Fjola Jonsdottir (2017) Numerical simulation of Franz diffusion experiment: Application to drug loaded soft contact lenses. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, Volume 38, April 2017, pp. 18-27.
67. Sven Þ. Sigurðsson, Anna Soffia Hauksdottir (2017) Closed Form Expressions of Linear Discrete Time System Responses. 20th IFAC World Congress, IFAC-PapersOnLine, Volume 50, Issue 1, July 2017, pp. 9291-9296.
68. Kristinn Gudnason, Sven Sigurdsson, Fjola Jonsdottir (2018) A Numerical Framework for Diffusive Transport in Rotational Symmetric Systems with Discontinuous Interlayer Conditions. 9th Vienna International Conference on Mathematical Modelling, MATHMOD 2018, February 21-23 2018, Vienna, Austria. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Volume 51, Issue 2, pp. 942-47.
69. Kristinn Gudnason, Sven Sigurdsson, Fjola Jonsdottir, A. J. Guiomar, A.P. Vieira, P. Alves, P. Coimbra, M. H. Gil (2018) Modelling the Release of Moxifoxacin from Plasma Grafted Intraocular Lenses with Rotational Symmetric Numerical Framework. 6th International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, IWBBIO 2018, April 25-27 2018, Granada Spain. In: Rojas I., Ortuno F. (eds.) Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 10813, pp. 329-339.To be published in conference proceedings.
70. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2018) Closed Form Expressions of Linear Continuous Time System Responses, 3rd IFAC Conference on Advances in Proportional-Integrator-Derivative Control, PID 2018, Ghent, Belgium, May 09-11, 2018. IFAC PapersOnLine, Volume 51, Issue 4, pp. 292-297
71. Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir, Sven Þ. Sigurðsson (2018) A Pole Placing PID Type Controller, 3rd IFAC Conference on Advances in Proportional-Integrator-Derivative Control, PID 2018, Ghent, Belgium, May 09-11, 2018. IFAC PapersOnLine, Volume 51, Issue 4, pp. 942-947.
72. Anna Soffia Hauksdottir, Sven Th. Sigurdsson (2018) Closed Form Expressions for the Matrix Exponent and Solutions to State Equations based on a Fundamental Solution. The 2018 American Control Conference, June 27-29 2018, Milwaukee, USA. To be published in conference proceedings, 8 pp.
Supervised M.Sc. theses:
Héðinn Steingrímsson: Modeling the Behaviour of Capelin using Reinforcement Learning, 2003
Gunnar Stefánsson: Design and Implementation of an Equation Solver for an Energy Management System, 2004
Paul Gunnar Garðarsson: Web Mining and Machine Recognition of Web Robots, 2007
Hildur Sævarsdóttir: Grey Box Modeling and Operational Fuel Optimization of a Container Vessel, 2007
Co-supervised M.Sc. theses:
Sigrún Dóra Sævinsdóttir: Detecting Neonatal Seizures in EEG Recordings Using Support Vector Machines, 2004 (with Tómas P. Rúnarsson)
Þóra Jónsdóttir: Data Mining - A Data Eye of View. Practical data mining using a medical data set about breast cancer patients, 2005 (with Ebba Hvannberg)
Bergþór Ævarsson: Linear System Responses and Optimization Applications, 2005 (with Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir)
Helgi Þorgilsson: Control of Small Unmanned Underwater Vechicle Using Zero Optimized PID Controllers, 2006 (with Anna Soffía Hauksdóttir)
Stefán Pétursson: Predicting Optimal Trim Configuration of Marine Vessels with Respect to Fuel Usage, 2009 (with Tómas P. Rúnarsson)
Stefán Freyr Guðmundsson: Samfelld líkön fyrir rándýr og bráð (Continuous Models of Predators and Prey), 2010 (with late Kjartan G. Magnússon)
Jón Friðrik Daðason: Post-Correction of Icelandic OCR Text, 2012 (with Kristín Bjarnadóttir)
Steinn Guðmundsson, Time Series Classification, 2010 (with Tómas P. Rúnarsson).
Baldvin Einarsson, An Interacting Particle Model and Dynamic Energy Budget Theory: Analysis and Applications, 2011 (with Björn Birnir)
Bergþóra S. Snorradóttir, Silicone matrices for controlled drug delivery, 2014 (with Már Másson and Fjóla Jónsdóttir)
Courses taught at University of Iceland
in Mathematics Year
Numerical Analysis 73-75, 77-81, 83-86, 91-94, 97, 99
Partial Differential Equations II 76
Numerical Linear Algebra 79, 81, 83, 91, 04
Operation Research 93, 97
Nonlinear Optimization 94
Mathematical Analysis I 78-80
Mathematical Analysis II 85
Mathematics II 95-97, 99, 00, 01
Mathematical Analysis III 94-95
Mathematical Analysis IV 74-80, 82-83, 87-88, 90-93(part), 84(all)
Differential Equations 75-77, 89-92
Mathematics for Geologists 78, 80, 82
Mathematical Modelling in Biology 97(part)
in Computer Science
Programming 73-75, 01-03, 08
Data Structures 79
Discrete Mathematics 81-87, 89-90, 92, 94, 96, 06-10
Formal Languages and Automata 83-87, 89-93, 95, 97, 09-11
Logic Programming 85-87(part)
Analysis of Algorithms (n) 87-88(part), 95(all)
Algorithms, Logic, Computability 99, 00, 02, 03, 05, 10, 11
Logic in Computer Science 01-04, 06, 06-08
Machine Learning 03, 04, 06(part)
Scientific Computing 06, 07