If you know a page that you think should
be linked to here feel free to suggest so.
Old Norse grammar and phonology
- Lessons and extensively glossed texts. Excellent!
- Miscellanous thoughts on Old Norse by a competent linguist.
Includes a part of the V÷lundarkvia read aloud!
- Professor Lindow reads Ragnarsdrßpa aloud. One could wish
for a higher degree of phonological accuracy but his reading
is not altogether without merit.
- Proto-Norse - read aloud!
- A 13th century Icelandic text read aloud with an
attempt at reconstructed pronunciation
- Useful Swedish site.
- Another site by the same author.
- Grammar and texts, fairly high quality.
- Conjugation of verbs. Includes the modern and
old Scandinavian languages.
Texts in Old Norse and Icelandic
- An old book, made available on the Web. It contains numerous Old Icelandic texts, each followed by a glossary. There are some typos in this online version but it should be good enough to be useful.
- Higly recommended. Icelandic 19th century poetry with English translations and
commentaries. Also includes excellent explanations of Icelandic poetic metres.
- A large collection of interesting Icelandic texts. Old Icelandic texts (with modern spelling) can be found by clicking on 'Fornrit', for the prose, and 'KvŠi' -> 'FornkvŠi' for the poetry. Very few typos.
- Some 670 runic carvings from Bergen. [As of January 2005 the page seems gone.]
- Excellent collection of manuscript texts.
Other Old Norse items
- Critical editions of Old Icelandic literature - and more. Very high quality.
- Useful indeed! Kudos to the people that brought the book online.
- I'm pretty sure this one is brilliant;
unfortunately, for me, it is also in Russian.
- This fellow has a rather interesting perspective
on learning Old Norse (also take a look at his
- Huge link page! Very useful.
Other items of interest
- Further reference to the phonetic transcription standard which is used in the course.
- Help on typing non-English characters.